1. Don’t be shy. Be curious, and insistent.
2. Get a second – or third or fourth – opinion. But don’t show up and tell the next doctor, “I’ve been diagnosed with this type of illness, what do you think?”
3. Take the time to get to know your family medical history—and make sure your doctor knows about it.
4. Take someone with you to doctor’s visits. It’s hard to listen to difficult medical news and pay attention to all the details at the same time.
5. Have your pathology rechecked.
Read the full op-ed for details.